If you’re like most people, when you think of your garage at all it’s as a workspace and convenient entrance to your home. However, if you’ve noticed chipped paint or faded color, it’s probably time to give your garage door a makeover. You might want to match the current trends, coordinate with the rest of … Continued
If you’re like most people, when you think of your garage at all it’s as a workspace and convenient entrance to your home. However, if you’ve noticed chipped paint or faded color, it’s probably time to give your garage door a makeover.
You might want to match the current trends, coordinate with the rest of the exterior or just see something new on your way home. Your home’s exterior is a place to get creative and show your style and you can paint a garage door to get an updated look that matches your preferences.
Why Paint Your Garage Door?
We use our garages so often that it’s easy to let them fade into the background. You might not think of the garage as a room that requires maintenance from time to time. Like the rest of your house, however, your garage is a reflection of your preferences and taste.
Friends or family who come to visit and even people driving by will notice the state and color of your garage. A new color or a touch-up can reflect your style and give your home’s exterior even more appeal.
Some of the benefits of painting your garage door include:
- An updated look: Even if you love the color you chose for your door, it’s probably started to fade after years of use. Whether you need a new look or want to update the old one, a bright new coat of paint can be a welcoming sight when you’re driving home.
- Increased curb appeal: A freshly painted garage is eye-catching, calling attention to the rest of your home’s exterior. Anyone driving by will take notice, and your visitors will love pulling up to your recently updated garage.
- Better protection from the elements: Paint can act as an additional layer of protection against rain, dirt, snow and other natural elements while giving your home an elegant touch.
- A higher property value: Potential buyers will recognize the appeal of a beautiful, newly painted garage. If you’re planning to sell your home, refreshing the exterior with the right color can help increase its resale value.
Preparing a Garage Door for Painting
Painting a garage door requires some preparation. Before you go out to buy your paint, you’ll need to think about a few things.
1. Check the Temperature and Weather
Plan to paint on a day when the weather won’t impact your work. It’s best to paint on a day that isn’t too sunny, with low humidity and temperatures between 50 and 75 degrees.
It’s also good to check the weather for the days following your paint job to ensure you’re not expecting rain.
2. Choose Your Color
When deciding what color to paint your garage door, look at your entry door, shutters, roof or lawn decorations for inspiration. Coordinating your garage door with the rest of your exterior will enhance your home’s overall appearance.
3. Take Safety Precautions
When cleaning and sanding, you should always wear protective eyewear to keep dust, dirt and other small particles from entering your eyes. It’s also best to consider wearing a fume mask when you paint. A mask will keep you from inhaling the fumes from the paint and cleaners you use.
4. Gather Your Tools
Find the exterior garage door paint and primer to adhere to your door correctly. You may need to buy acrylic or oil-based primer depending on the material of your door or what type of paint is already on it.
You’ll need to read the labels carefully to figure out what kind of paint to use on your garage door. Certain garage door materials require specific paints. While oil-based paint on wood and vinyl doors will crack over time, latex-based paints and primers do well. However, oil-based paints and primers are a better choice for aluminum or steel doors because they protect the metal against rust.
Along with your paint and primer, you’ll also need:
- Paint stirrers
- Rags and cloths
- Bucket and sponge
- Roller pan
- Roller frame and extra heads
How to Repaint a Garage Door
Once you have the correct paint, you’ll need to prep your painting area and get to work on your door. When you’re ready to start, follow these steps:
- Clean: Start by cleaning your door thoroughly. Find a good-quality cleaner or natural degreasing agent and wipe down your door before painting. A properly cleaned surface will allow the paint to better stick to the surface.
- Scrape and sand: Allow the door to dry completely, then remove any loose paint with a scraper or sandpaper. You don’t need to remove the current coat completely, but removing any chipping or peeling will create a better surface for the new paint to stick. You can use a hose to remove the excess and dry the door with rags.
- Adjust: You’ll want to adjust your door to a comfortable height while painting. Make sure to disengage the automatic opener so you can manually lower or raise your door as necessary.
- Prepare: You’ll need to prep your door and surrounding areas before you dip your brush in the can. Tape off anywhere you don’t intend to paint or anywhere you might want a different color. You’ll also need to lay down a drop sheet or plastic cover to ensure you don’t paint over any landscaping. These covers will also keep any splatter from sticking to your garage or driveway.
- Prime: You should plan to prime your panels separately from your rails and stiles. Always wipe away the excess and let the primer dry before applying the paint. You can leave your door open overnight to ensure it dries completely.
- Paint: For the best results, apply at least three coats of paint. Give each coat about four hours to dry before applying the next.
Perfectly performing every step can be a challenge. If you don’t want to paint your door yourself, you can reach out to a professional. When you hire a professional painting contractor, you can rest assured that they’ll take every precaution to ensure your paint job turns out beautifully.
Contact Rent Painters to Paint Your Garage Door
Rent Painters provides fast and reliable service for all of your painting needs. We started our business in 2010 to help people receive reliable service they can count on. We believe you should know the cost of your project in advance, which is why we’re completely transparent about our prices. You can always look up an estimate using our estimate calculator for interior jobs.
We’re proud of our work at Rent Painters, and we know you’ll love it too. We know how to create a stylish and cohesive look for your garage door that you’ll love to come home to. You can contact Rent Painters today to schedule a service or request a quote and feel confident in our quality service and incredible results.